I'd thought I'd start this blog off on a high note. If you have read my previous posts, you've found out that I'm a girl with a large span of interests. But, while this is true, there is one thing that will always hold a special place in my heart. One thing and one thing alone, horror.
I know what you may be thinking. Teenage girl + Horror movies = WTF? Ok, so (since I'm such a great mind reader) I know what you may be thinking again. Teenage girls just LOVE horror movies, right?! I mean, come on. Things that make you jump out of your seat and have that fake artificial blood stuff are just amazing, amiright?! No. I tend to look at it from a different perspective. How? Well...let's see.
To start off, we need to answer a very important question, "What exactly is horror?" There are a few different definitions that I can give you:
1. an overwhelming and painful feeling cause by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting
2. anything that causes such a feeling
3. a strong aversion; abhorrence
Any of the these will do. They are all very much accurate if I do say so myself. Now that we know the meaning behind horror, lets talk about what it really means to me.
Okay, so I really don't feel like going into my whole life story right now (that will come later, when I feel appropriate and when it's not 12:30 at night) but I will say this much. Horror is such an important thing to me for many reasons. It has always been something that has made an impact on my life. Throughout my hardships (which again, I will explain in a later post) it has always been something that I could rely on to help me with whatever it was that I was going through.
Horror is used throughout a wide span of creative outlets. It is used through film, books, television, theatre, and even in real life. It seems that people such as myself just can't get enough of the screaming!
So I guess that's it for today. If anyone who reads this blog has any ideas of what my next few posts should be about, let me know!
*Sorry this post came so late. A lot of stuff has happened that I will explain later.
-- The Scream Queen<3
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Hey, fellow screamers! So, I realized something when I was re-reading my first post earlier. I totally left out topic number 6! So:
6. I will be blogging about my love for theatre! I have been an actress in musical theatre since I was 10 (so almost 6 years). There is just something about being on stage, with my face caked in stage makeup, with the lights shining on me, that just sends me to my happy place. And like I am with film, I don't like to settle on one genre of theatre. I love horror musicals, but I don't mind watching anything else. In fact, some of my favorite musicals are not horror musicals. I love theatre!
Okay, now that I've covered that, I figured I should explain how this blog is going to work. My main focus is going to be (of course) horror. I will be posting about the horror movies that I watch, the books I read, and anything else that just screams "HORROR" <--- see what I did there? lol, scream queen humor ;)
Anyway, I will be posting my reviews on said films/books/whatever. I will make up the title of the post (cuz I'm cool like that) and I will put the rating of the film next to it. If the film has no rating, I will give it a rating of what I believe is appropriate. The same goes for books as well, I will give them the appropriate rating.
I will be reviewing the films in my collection (which is well over 100 movies). I will try to compile a complete list of the movies I have, as soon as I can. And if anyone would like to make a suggestion of a film for me to watch/review, feel free to! I love learning about other movies that are out there. And remember, I will watch any type of film as long as it's not a chick flick or something super inappropriate (NC-17 rating -- although there may be a few exceptions).
--The Scream Queen<3
Thursday, April 14, 2011
HELLO WORLD! okay...maybe not the entire world. Hello my fellow bloggers (or blogger in the singular form, depending who actually reads this...). Gosh, I really am terrible at writing introductions...I mean, I love to talk, no doubt about it...but I just HATE writing introductions. Like, I start off talking all normal and such then I get distracted by something, like the music I'm listening to or something shiny, and then I start to lose my train of thought and then I make the attempt to get back on track and then I start rambling and then I become boring and...oh...wait. Never mind.
Okay, in all seriousness, welcome to my blog! Blogging is something that I've wanted to do for quite a long time but have never found the time or gotten the permission from my parental figures (I love you, Mommy!!). But now that I actually have found something to blog about, here I am! Okay, so I think I have a general idea of what you may be thinking, "What is this weird chick talking about?" or, "What the crap am I doing here?!" Both are reasonable questions. And I am a firm believer in the fact that all questions must be answered. So:
1. I will be blogging about horror! If you hadn't guessed it by the title of my blog, I am addicted to anything with horror! There is just something about going to the theater and watching the blood and gore and screamfests that are a part of horror that really thrills me. I don't like to limit myself to just horror films, though. Horror is a lot more than just cinema. Horror is also found in literature, television, music, and real life. And I happen to be in love with it! :)
2. I will be blogging about film! Okay, to state the obvious once more, I love film. I just don't limit myself to watching horror movies, though. I will watch pretty much anything as long as it isn't too freakishly girlie or wildly inappropriate. I want to be a film director, screenwriter and/or critic when I graduate. Film is truly my passion in life.
3. I will be blogging about my love for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ! I have been a firm Christian since I was around 11 years old. I believe in sharing my love for Jesus with everyone and everything around me. I choose to make the attempt to live like Christ by loving others and sharing my testimony. Jesus rocks!
4. I will be blogging about my disability! I was born with type 3 Spina Bifida. I want people to be more educated on the subject of disabilities so they can learn before they judge. Being disabled all of my life, I know how some people tend to act prejudiced without having the proper education to back them up. I wish to change that.
5. I will be blogging about my life in general! yep. You are lucky because you get to read my random posts about my life and my rambling on about random things! Okay, along with my rambling, I will be sharing my stories about how I became the awesome, horror obsessed, Christ loving, girl that I am today! :P
So...we'll see how this works. I'll try to update as much as possible, which may get difficult due to school and church and such. Oh well. We'll see.
--The Scream Queen<3